03 Oct 23

Poisonous Plants for Dogs: Protect Your Pup

Poisonous Plants for Dogs: Protect Your Pup

Have you ever wondered how common it is for dogs to ingest plants that are toxic to them? The world is filled with various plants, and while they may be beautiful to look at, some can be deadly for our furry friends.

Knowing this information can help you keep your precious pups safe and sound. It's all about knowing what to look out for and how to react if, heaven forbid, your dogs get into something they shouldn’t have.

Let’s dive deep, explore, and learn, ensuring our gardens are a haven for our dogs, not a hazard. Ready to become a plant-detective for your pup? Let’s get started!

Symptoms of Plant Poisoning in Dogs

When it comes to plant poisoning, the signs can be as subtle as a little drool or as alarming as a seizure. Let’s break down these symptoms:


  • Sudden onset: Your dog might suddenly vomit without apparent reason.
  • Possible presence of plant material: You might notice leaves, stems, or other plant parts in the vomit.


  • Unexpected accidents: Even house-trained dogs might have accidents if they experience diarrhea.
  • Change in appearance: The poop might be watery, bloody, or unusually smelly.


  • Excessive saliva: Your dog might drool more than usual, leaving puddles or wet spots on the floor or their bed.
  • Discomfort: They might seem uncomfortable, pawing at their mouth or face.

Skin Irritation

  • Redness or rash: The skin, especially around the mouth or paws, might appear red, swollen, or irritated.
  • Constant scratching or biting: Your dog might incessantly scratch or bite the irritated area.


  • Unusual tiredness: Your dog might seem unusually tired and uninterested in play, walks, or other activities they usually enjoy.
  • Change in behavior: They might seek solitude, and not respond to calls or commands.


  • Sudden uncontrollable movements: Your dog might experience sudden, uncontrollable shaking or movements.
  • Loss of consciousness: In severe cases, they might lose consciousness.

Cardiac Problems

  • Irregular heartbeat: You might notice a change in your dog’s heartbeat, either too fast or too slow.
  • Difficulty breathing: Your dog might pant excessively or have trouble catching their breath.

The severity and duration of these symptoms depend on various factors including the type and amount of plant ingested, the size and health of the dog, and the time elapsed since ingestion.

So remember, time is of the essence. It’s super important to rush to the vet if you notice any of these symptoms.

Common and Dangerous Plants for Dogs

Let’s take a closer look at some of these green troublemakers:


  • Toxic part: All parts of the plant.
  • Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and lethargy.
  • Appearance: Small shrub with small, beautiful flowers that can be a variety of colors.


  • Toxic part: Bulbs are the most poisonous part.
  • Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cardiac abnormalities.
  • Appearance: Bright yellow or white flowers with a central trumpet-shaped corona.


  • Toxic part: The bulb.
  • Symptoms: Drooling, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
  • Appearance: Cup-shaped flowers in a variety of colors.


  • Toxic part: All parts of the plant.
  • Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, skin irritation, and drooling.
  • Appearance: Small to medium-sized flowers with many petals, can be various colors.


  • Toxic part: Rhizomes (the underground stems).
  • Symptoms: Drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
  • Appearance: Tall, narrow leaves with colorful, intricate flowers.


  • Toxic part: All parts, especially tubers.
  • Symptoms: Oral irritation, intense burning, and irritation of mouth, tongue, and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.
  • Appearance: Broad, flat leaves and clusters of white, pink, or red flowers.


  • Toxic part: Roots.
  • Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive salivation.
  • Appearance: Heart-shaped leaves and vibrant flowers with upswept petals.

Each plant has its own sneaky way of causing harm, and it’s essential to keep an eagle eye out for them in our surroundings.

How to Prevent and Treat Plant Poisoning in Dogs

Navigating the world with our furry friends means ensuring their safety at every paw step. Let’s explore the prevention and treatment of plant poisoning in dogs.


Keeping Dogs Away from Toxic Plants

  • Knowledge is power: Familiarize yourself with a list of toxic plants. Regularly check various sources for updates and new findings.
  • Supervise outdoor time: Always supervise your dog’s outdoor adventures. Be ready to steer them away from potential plant dangers.

Removing Poisonous Plants

  • Conduct a plant audit: Regularly inspect your home and garden. Remove any known toxic plants to prevent accidental ingestion.
  • Choose pet-friendly plants: When adding to your garden or indoor plants, choose species that are non-toxic to dogs. Research or consult experts before making a purchase.

Checking Labels and Storing Products Safely

  • Be a label detective: Thoroughly read labels of products like fertilizers, pesticides, and plant foods. Avoid those known to be harmful to pets.
  • Safe storage: Store all garden and plant-related products in a secure cabinet that your dog cannot access.

Training Your Dog

  • Use commands: Consistently use commands like “leave it” or “no” to deter your dog from approaching or nibbling on plants.
  • Positive reinforcement: Reward your dog for obeying commands. Use treats, affection, or additional playtime to reinforce positive behavior.

Regular Monitoring

  • Observe behavior: Regularly observe your dog for any changes in behavior, appetite, or physical condition.
  • Regular vet check-ups: Schedule regular veterinary check-ups to ensure your dog’s health is continuously monitored.


In Case of Ingestion

  • Quick identification: Quickly identify the plant ingested. Take a photo or sample to show the vet or poison control center.
  • Immediate action: Time is crucial. Immediately contact your veterinarian or a poison control center for guidance.
  • Follow professional advice: Strictly follow the instructions given. Do not induce vomiting or administer any substances unless explicitly advised.

First Aid Kit

  • Be prepared: Assemble a comprehensive first aid kit. Include activated charcoal, hydrogen peroxide, a syringe or dropper, and emergency contact numbers.
  • Learn basic first aid: Educate yourself about basic first aid procedures for dogs. Consider taking a pet first aid course.

Post-Incident Care

  • Follow-up vet visits: Schedule follow-up vet visits to monitor your dog’s recovery and prevent potential complications.
  • Observe for delayed symptoms: Continuously monitor your dog for any delayed or lingering symptoms. Report any concerns to the vet promptly.

Wrapping Up

By recognizing the symptoms of plant poisoning and taking preventive measures, we can create a safe environment for our dogs to thrive in.

Keep exploring, learning, and enjoying the beauty of nature while keeping our beloved pups safe by our side.

Take the first step now and create a safe and dog-friendly environment. Your furry friend will thank you for it!